A merchant is liable for the transaction activity that flows through the merchant account. Take advantage of fraud tools offered in the payment gateway to help prevent fraudulent activity from hitting your merchant account.
All our new gateway accounts come with the following tools enabled:
- Verification of cardholder billing information on domestic cards
- Verification of the 3-digit security code
- A blocker to decline any card used that appears in our database of known bad cards
- A module to block duplicates when users double click or use the back button,
- A profiler that blocks a customer if too many cards are attempted and declined from the same IP address.
Transactions verified by the bank but stopped by your fraud tool may still be assigned an authorization code that reserved the authorized amount for your business. If your customer says they see pending transactions, they probably tried to order multiple times on your website and some of the attempts resulted in errors. The most common errors are billing address does not match the card issuing bank, wrong 3-digit code on the back of the card, and international cards stopped because your fraud tools are preset for domestic address verification only. If you do not capture the authorization, the funds will be released back to the customer within 7 days.